Saturday, April 23, 2011

PCAACA

This week  (20-22 April) I drove the 70 miles south to San Antonio to attend events associated with the national PCA-ACA (Popular Culture Association/ American Culture Association) conference, joint with the SW/Texas PCA-ACA. I last attended the national PCAACA in 2004--again, when it was in San Antonio, although I sometimes make it to the SW/Texas PCA-ACA in Albuquerque. I gave a brief talk about the IFLA SIG on Indigenous Matters.

The conference presentations and format was familiar--lots of programs, a confusing program book, presentations that range in quality and lots of canceled programs due to speaker no-shows. Still, I also enjoyed the best aspects of a professional conference. I heard some great papers, caught up (expectedly and unexpectedly) with friends and former students, made some stunning new connections, and bought a few books that look very promising.

May be years before the PCAACA will return to San Antonio but I'd return, this time to attend movie screenings and some of the social events.