Monday, May 21, 2007

Convocations; New Librarians Greet the World

I just returned from attending two convocation programs for students attending San Jose State University's campuses in San Jose and Fullerton. The meeting locations were full on both occasions of excited graduates and their proud families. I was impressed by the experiences the students gained during their students and their plans for the future. My own part in these events was to deliver addresses and hood new graduates.

A week ago I was in my home state of Minnesota, meeting with faculty at St. Kate's, giving talks at a meeting of MALL (Minnesota Area Law Librarians), the Minneapolis Public Library, and the annual dinner of the Arrowhead Library System in Mountain Iron. I visited the ALS bookmobile; I was a long-standing bookmobile patron in high school; this book mobile was likely the great-grand-daughter of the bookmobile that I knew. On the way to Mountain Iron I stopped by the memorial to Senator Paul Wellstone. I jotted down this quote from him, posted on one of the displays, indicative of his strong service orientation and love for the people on the Iron Range:
"Politics is not just about power and money games, politics is about the improvement
of people's lives, about lessening human suffering in our world and bringing about
more peace and justice."